We decided to Visit the Vatican City for our first day in Rome. Steven and I have been to Rome before but didn't make it to the Vatican so I was excited to visit and see. The two major things to see at the Vatican are St Peters Basilica and the Vatican Museums which include the Sistine Chapel. We started with St Peters Basilica.
The Basilica is free to go in and see, which is a bonus. You walk right in off the street from Rome through a huge archway and get welcomed into the massive courtyard into the Vatican City. We had to go through a quick security check and then we were on our way.
I really wanted to climb to the top of the dome and see the views from the top so we started with that. (you do have to pay to do that but not for any of the kids)
The kids keep finding little archways that look just perfect for a statue to sit so they love to frame themselves inside.
The First stop on the climb is the inside of the upper dome. You get to look down from the top and see the inside of the Basilica. I love that you have a closer view of the art that is on the ceiling and around the walls. It a massive
We climbed and we climbed but the views from the top really were worth it. I love the shape of the courtyard from the top and the symetry of the whole design. I loved to be able to look out over all of Rome, it was spectacular.
After we got down from there we made it to the inside of the Basilica. The first stop inside is a famous and beautiful statue that I am glad I got to see. "La Pieta" By Michelangelo really is stunning. It is of Mary the mother of Jesus holding Jesus's body after being taken off the cross. You can see the mourning mixed with hope in her eyes and the marble is so perfectly carves it looks like 2 reall people sitting there. Even with my untrained eye I could tell it was a masterpiece.
Below are the pictures of the place said to be the Tomb of Peter himself. I took a picture of the sign for explanation but I did think it gave a whole new meaning to the interpretation that upon Peter I will build my church because apparently the Basilica is built right on top of his burial sight.


















No comments:
Post a Comment