Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Roma: Day 1 The Vatican Museums

I tried to do a fare amount of research before we went to Rome and the Vatican City to make sure I knew what I wanted to see.  Vatican City was a crazy research because there is so much out there about the crazy long lines and paying for a "skip the line tour"  But I had also heard from a reliable source that if you have kids in line you can actually go up to the front and skip the line so I decided not to worry about buying in advance.  For us, this day, I am so glad that I did what I did.  We went at our own time at our own pace.  The kids did get a little bit ornery at a few moments.  We went close to the end of the day so there was no line at all (fyi: there is no rule that says they will let you skip to the front of the line but it is very common practice.  The official I spoke with said 9 times out of 10 the guard will let you skip the line.  He also said with my 6 children it would happen every time:)

So Here it is! The Vatican Museums!

We began in ancient Egypt.
This is a picure of a real mummy where you can actually see the remains.  It was pretty cool!


We moved onto Ancient Rome and Greek statues.  The above picture is full of busts, There were halls of statues of the Gods, the picture to the right is of a large god with little children playing all over him.

The picture below is the room the octagon room with a large marble basin in the center and huge statues around the outside.  The Gold on is Hercules.

The next Hallway was full of the most beautiful tapestries that went through a number of moments from the life of Christ.


The art was not just on the walls, You should always pay attention to the ceilings as well.


There were four full rooms that were done by Raphael.  This picture being one of his most famous, the faces that are in the people are some of the most famous artists of the time including Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Himself Raphael.

I'm not going to lie, the 4 Raphael rooms were when the kids were the most horrible.  Makenna and Keagan were whining and fighting so much and just asking when we were going to be done.  They were so tired and there was nowhere to sit so we didn't get to spend a ton of time in them.

(maybe that is why Steven doesn't look very happy in this photo)





Of Course the highlight of this tour is the Sistine Chappell.  Steven was especially excited to see it and we were very thankful there was places to sit down.
To be totally honest photography was not allowed inside the Sistine Chappell but I just wanted a proof I was here picture so I took a selfie with the most famous part of the ceiling above. (The Creation of Adam)




After only a few minutes of sitting in the Sistine Chappell Makenna was sound asleep.  She was sooo tired.  So it is fun to say the she took a nap in the Sistine Chappell.

Also while we were there a priest came out and did a short prayer service.  I liked that!  I like to see the these places are still used for their intended purpose to worship God and not just a tourist destination.

Our last stop before leaving was a large plaza that sits in the middle of the museum.  It holds this large Sphere within a sphere statue.  I was glad I did a little bit of research about this as well because I was able to ask one of the guard if it could spin and he spun it for us and then invited Kaden to come and spin it with him.  It was super cute.

I am glad we got to visit the Vatican.  I am not sure how much the children will remember but it was a once in a lifetime experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment