Adventures and Travels of 8 Mills. We are hitting the road to discover the world together.
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
Everyday Life
We are getting into a routine around here so I thought I would share a few things that are part of our routine now but a little different from back in Iowa.
First, we sweep AND MOP our front walkway/ sidewalk. It may seem odd but for these people the sidewalk is an extension of the house and they keep it tidy so most people mop their front entry often.
Instead of buying cheese by the block I buy cheese by the wheel. It really is delicious. Love it!
When it is time to take out the garbage you go find some of these. Every few block there are large garbage cans as well as recycle bins. For that reason we only have a small garbage can with a small garbage bag.
Siesta Time. We have a great little store down the street from us. There is a store like it around every corner. The store has all the basic things that you could want from bread, milk, eggs, frozen foods, fruits and veggies, school supplies and a small section that looks like a hardware store. The only problem is that almost all stores are close from 2pm-5pm. That is still something I am getting used to.
Laundry Laundry Laundry. I have not yet seen a dryer in Spain. I know they exist but I haven't seen one. Most people (including us) only have a washing machine, which means I do a small load of laundry almost every morning and hang it up to dry. We have seen the sun almost every day so it has not been to much of a problem. I do worry about if it rains how the laundry could start to pile up.
We walk everywhere in town. The wonderful thing about everyone walking is that you see your neighbors often. We stop on the side of the street and talk. I do my best to be apart of the conversation when Steven is there and when he is not then I really have to work hard but the people are so wonderful and friendly. My favorite are the little old ladies that love to talk but don't really need much of a response so I nod my head a lot and get what I can from whatever they are telling me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment