Saturday, January 12, 2019

La Catedral de Sevilla

 Our other Major Stop of the day was the Cathedral of Sevilla.  Like most cathedrals it is huge, but because it has been added onto so many times and in so many ways this cathedral can boast that it is the largest Gothic Cathedral in the World.


 The Other major thing this cathedral can boast is the remains of Christopher Columbus.
You read that correctly,  In the large statue in the picture to the right the 4 people are carrying a coffin.   This the the coffin that holds the remains of Christopher Columbus.
Funny story:  When Columbus died he was actually in the Dominican Republic and buried next to his brother.  Spain had his remains dug up and brought back, but the Dominican Republic claimed that they actually brought Columbus's brother back.  So for many years both countries claimed to have the remains of Christopher Columbus.
Some years ago they decided to find out for sure who had who.  So through science (DNA testing etc,  whatever, I don't know how they did it they just did)  they found out the this is really Christopher and his brother really is in the Dominican Republic.

 The other cool thing about the cathedral is you get to climb the bell town.  We climbed 35 floors of ramps around and around and around to make it to the top.  The views are wonderful from the top as you get a good look all around Sevilla.  The kids loved it!


 As I have mentioned in the past Miranda loves oranges.  She has loved to be in all the amazing gardens and groves of oranges trees.  The courtyard in the cathedral was an orange grove.  Miranda asked me if I thought they harvested the oranges and I told her, "no they probably just let them fall and then clean them up when it is time".  When we got home tonight she pulled an orange out of her bag the she had picked off the tree.
I was a little shocked just because Miranda can be a stickler for the rules, but she couldn't bare to see all the oranges go to waste and she just wanted to try one. I told her they were going to come track her down and cut off her head. 

On the left is a picture of the bell tower that we climbed from the ground.
 On our walk back to the car we got to stop for a little bit and watch flamenco dance.  I wasn't sure we were going to get the chance to see flamenco while we were here as it can be something you have to go out of your way to see so I was happy to let the kids stop.  They decided it was a little bit of tap and clogging with special movement of the arms but really enjoyed it.

It was a great day.

1 comment: