Sunday, January 27, 2019

On The Trail Of Columbus: The Nina, The Pinta, and The Santa Maria!


These Boats Were Cool!!!
Someone did the research and made replicas of the ships used to sail by Columbus and his crew.
It was so fun to spend time on these boats.  We had free reign to play and explore all parts of them.  They had a few props to help you get the feel of life on the ships and as you would expect the kids' imaginations went wild with being sailors and pirates and shooting cannons.
 We went up and down stairs (more like ladders, they were so steep).  All three of the boats were open for us to go up and down and get on and off.

A few things of interest:
I was expecting the boats to be on the small side.  I just figured we have a skewed vision of the size of ships from movies.  In Reality the Santa Maria (the biggest of the three)  was much larger than I thought it was going to be and the Nina was smaller then I thought, as I imagined spending 3 months on it out in the middle of the ocean it was a little scary.

The other thing that surprised me was the curve of the deck.  It was extremely rounded.  The deck made it clear the bottom of the boat was shaped like a barral.  Also the front tip of the boat was at a severe angle.  I just imagined all the decks being flat and that was not the case at all.



 Above it the littlest ship  "La Nina"

The picture to the left is looking up from the stairs from under the ship to the main deck.





As part of the exhibit they had a replica of a small wharf town that the crew would have left from as well a huts and replicas of what they would have found when they made their first encounter on the land.

Jacob and Jackson playing with more cannons.

 When all was done we went out for lunch and the it become very clear that Kaden was coming down with something and not feeling very well.  He had the saddest little eyes.

And with children it is never a dull moment. When we were about to leave the restaurant the kids were checking out a vending machine in the corner and Jackson somehow thought it would be a good idea to put his hand (and arm) up inside the machine.  It took about 4 minutes to figure out how to get it out.  While Steven and the Guy at the restaurant were getting his hand out I was my father's daughter and started snapping pictures.  hehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment