Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Driving in Spain

If you have ever driving in a foreign country you know that it can be a little nerve-wracking.   This is very true in Spain when you are driving down a one way street that is so narrow you are wondering if your car is going to fit and at the same time not being able to see the end of the street so you are wondering if there is anything at the end or if you will end up reversing all the way back (I have had this thought often but so far that has never happened).

Another thing to keep in mind is that every car I have ever been in here is stick shift.   I do have to give a shout out to my parents as I tell you about this (as well as Steven's)  For both of us we had parents that insisted that we learn to drive stick shift as we were learning to drive.  I remember when I was 14 or 15 and my dad was looking to buy a new truck.  He brought one home that he was test driving and I asked him if he was going to buy it.  He promptly told me "No we have to get a car that is stick shift so that you can learn to drive right"  It was funny at the time but I will always appreciate my parents for that.  My friends thought it was fun in high school that I could drive one and the boys were always impressed.

Anyway back to the point.  The point is I know how to drive stick shift which makes it possible for myself and my husband to be able to drive in Spain.  Love it!!!

I have made Steven do most of the driving in Spain.  He has much more experience with it in his years coming to Spain but tomorrow we may end up with two cars at the same time so I will have to drive, and I can!  




4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you appreciate knowing how to drive a stickshift.
    See it did come in handy.
    Aren't you glad you didn't have to learn on the old blue Ford with the meat grinder granny like the other kids.
    You always did have it easy though.
    Good on ya
    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa said the same thing about learning to drive in Big Blue. Love you

      Delete
  2. It won't be to many years until you can't find a stick shift. Most manufacturers have pulled that option from the or cars in America.

    ReplyDelete